The Assistant Director of ZooCamp (ZC) supports the Director of ZooCamp with the preparation and running of all summer and school break camps. They must be available to work all ZooCamp programs: Summer (50 days), Thanksgiving (3 days), Winter Break (10 days), and Spring Break (10 days). This position aids the Director in being part of the support staff for Summer ZooCamp instructors and interns (about 25individuals), along with the Teen Assistants (about 65 teen volunteers). This position must know the ins and outs of our registration system (“Active Network: Camp and Class Manager”), be the primary contact for camp inquiries,and generally ensure the logistics of camp all run smoothly. As an Education Specialist – Level ll, the ZC Assistant Director also teaches K-12 Education programs when not running camps. Position is approximately 50% to 70% teaching.
Essential Job Duties
Ancillary Job Duties
· Assisting hiring, training and mentoring Zoo Camp teaching staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities –May be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those knowledge, skills and abilities commonly associated with this position.
· Classroom management and discipline skills
· Ability to handle stressful situations and maintain a sense of perspective and humor
· Ability to problem-solve and show good judgment
· Ability to organize tasks and ensure timely completion of projects with strong attention to detail and accuracy
· Consistent tact and diplomacy; courteous and respectful interaction with supervisors, co-workers, visitors, and the general public
· Ability to work well with little direct supervision
· Ability to work well within a team and be a team leader
· Proactive in finding new assignments/tasks as other assignments/tasks are completed
Work Environment –Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
· Estimated 50% of time spent outdoors in a range of weather conditions. Exposed to sun, wind, light rain, and outdoor temperature sand noise levels. Otherwise general office conditions. Exposed to moderate noise levels.
Physical Abilities - Activities that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
· Must be able to walk moderate hills and be on feet for 60 minutes at a time
Required Qualifications –Required qualifications to effectively perform the job. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered.
· Must be extremely well-organized
· Excellent time management skills
· Friendly, energetic, and open manner; good rapport with children and their parents
· Excellent oral (including phone calls, public speaking) and written communication skills