The Education Department Operations Coordinator is responsible for a range of customer-facing support functions including program scheduling, registration, and point-of-sale coordination. This position also serves a critical internal role for thee ducation department as office manager as well as supporting education staff with scheduling, onboarding, supply requisition, budget management, facilities use and maintenance coordination, and inter-departmental communications.
● Maintain up-to-date familiarity with all education programming, both on-site at the Zoo and off-site in other venues, in order to provide excellent customer service while being able to recommend specific programs and options. Programs include, but are not limited to: Virtual Zoo Field Trips, Birthday Parties, ZooMobiles,ZooSchool, Wildlife Assemblies, Scout Badge Workshops, ZooCamps, overnight programs, festivals and community events, field biology classes and workshops, climate stewardship courses, etc.
● Provide excellent customer service to visitors, vendors, students, parents, etc. in person, on the phone, and via written communications.
● Manage all administrative and registration processes for the education department with an emphasis on detail and accuracy, including but not limited to: receiving and responding to registration requests, general inquiries, concerns, and complaints; assisting customers; answering the telephone and email;coordinating with appropriate education program managers; curating, maintaining and reporting education data for development, accounting, and operation purposes.
● Maintain and update all registration and scheduling systems, including descriptions of education programs on the website, while ensuring accuracy.
● Maintain clear communication and organization for education staff regarding registration and scheduling for programming, training, and meetings.
● Collaborate with the various education program managers, as well as the marketing department, to support outreach and marketing for all education programs.
● Ensure office supplies are properly stocked, office equipment is maintained, and all education rooms and meeting spaces are adequately prepared.
● Maintain a positive attitude and collaborative working relationships with volunteers,co-workers, program participants, and internal and external customers.
● Demonstrate knowledge of, and support the California Conservation Society’s mission,vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and codes of behavior.
● Assist with education and zoo-wide events as needed, including some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
● Participate in collaborations with CSC partners.
● Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
● Assist in training new staff and volunteers.
Knowledge,Skills, and Abilities – Maybe representative, but not all-inclusive, of the knowledge, skills, and abilities commonly associated with this position.
● Customer service skills are essential to this role: team-player, commitment to customer satisfaction, patience, enthusiasm, creativity, listening, comprehension,initiative, problem-solver, cooperation, attention to detail, resourcefulness,friendly.
● Project management skills with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Ability to handle stressful situations and maintain a sense of perspective and humor.
● Strong computer skills with the ability to quickly learn new systems as needed, including but not limited to: Microsoft Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Teams), video conferencing (Zoom), file sharing and management (Google Drive, One Drive),web-based registration systems (Eventbrite, Active, Galaxy), staff scheduling software (When I Work).
● Ability to strategically organize tasks and ensure timely completion of projects in a fast-paced, changeable environment with shifting priorities.
● Consistent tact and diplomacy; courteous and respectful interaction with supervisors,co-workers, visitors, and the general public.
● Ability to both work well with little direct supervision and within a team, including thee ducation department and other departments within the zoo.
● Proactive infinding new assignments/tasks as other assignments/tasks are completed
WorkEnvironment –Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
● General office conditions, exposed to moderate noise levels, with extensive communication with guests on the telephone, via email, or in-person.
● Computer screenviewing and typing for extended periods.
● Up to 20% of time spent outdoors in a range of weather conditions. Exposed to sun, wind, lightrain, outdoor temperatures, and higher noise levels.
PhysicalAbilities - Activities that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
● Ability to navigate the zoo grounds and be outside for long periods of time.
● Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds.
● Ability to drive zoo vehicles.
Required Qualifications –Required qualifications to effectively perform the job. An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience will be considered.
● A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is preferred; equivalent experience in project and office management is acceptable.
● 3 years experiencein a project management, office management, or operations position.
● Experience working in databases and registration systems preferred.
● Experience training staff and/or volunteers preferred
Disclaimer: This jobdescription is not intended to be all-inclusive; an employee will also performother reasonably related job responsibilities as assigned by immediatesupervisor and other management as required. The Zoo reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. Management reserves the right to change job descriptions, job duties, functions, and requirements.