Taking Action For Wildlife During The California Wildfires

Conservation Department at Oakland Zoo
August 24, 2020

With wildfires raging throughout California, we want to share resources for guests and followers looking for ways to help animals threatened by these fires. The Zoo's tagline - Taking Action for Wildlife - represents a continuous effort to conserve all animal species and educate the public about these animals and the threats they face in the wild.

Below is a list of different organizations offering assistance and those accepting donations to help wildlife and assist evacuees in areas affected by wildfires.

Donations &  Volunteer Opportunities:

Ventana Wildlife Society:

Our long-time partners at Ventana Wildlife Society are experiencing great losses due to the Big Sur Fire.  Our hope is that the condors have made it through -- all destruction to be determined. To donate, please visit their website.

River and Carmel Fire Area

- Monterey SPCA is accepting monetary donations.  To make a donation, visit their website

- To donate pet food or supplies, contact SPCA Monterey County: 831-264-5431.  A list of supplies needed can be found at SPCA

Help California Reforestation:

Global reforestation non-profit One Tree Planted specifically benefits tree planting projects in California. Donating a $1 will plant one tree.

Napa/Glass Fire

Napa Community Animal Response Team educates the public on the animal component of disaster preparedness, help in emergency services and train on the various skills needed to save animals during a disaster.

Sonoma Community Animal Response Team : Has different volunteer opportunities to help with animal rescue

If You Are An Evacuee and Need Assistance:

Zoggs Fire

Cowboy 911 is a nonprofit group created to support individuals in emergency situations. Whether a person requires help during a calamity or an animal needs to be brought to safety, our organization is here to lend a hand. They are currently helping the Zoggs fire victims.

CZU Lightning complex

- For large animal evacuation assistance: Call HMB Feed & Fuel: 650-450-0520, 650-450-0516, or 650-773-8780

- If you need assistance with your pets, you can contact the Peninsula Humane Society and SPCA.

- Evacuated pet owners who need sheltering for their animals can bring them to the Peninsula Humane Society shelter at 12 Airport Blvd in San Mateo.  Please call 650-340-7022 with questions.

River and Carmel Fires

Monterey County - If you need assistance with evacuations or sheltering, please call us at 831-373-2631 during the day or 831-264-5455 at night.  If you are self-evacuating large animals, please check with us first so we can help direct you to safe sheltering.

LNU Lightning complex

The East Bay SPCA is accepting pets (cats and dogs) of evacuees for temporary boarding at their Oakland facility at 8323 Baldwin Street, Oakland CA 94621.  Evacuees can reach out by email or phone at 510-569-0702.

Solano County

- Vallejo Fairgrounds, 900 Fairgrounds Drive, Vallejo (Large animals)

- Solano County Animal Shelter 2510 Claybank Road (small animals only)

- Dixon Firgrounds, 655 S. First Street, Dixon (large and small animals)

SCU Lightning Complex

The East Bay SPCA is accepting pets (cats and dogs) of evacuees for temporary boarding at their Oakland facility at 8323 Baldwin Street, Oakland, CA 94621. Evacuees can reach out by email or phone 510-569-0702.