Please contact us for more information. Online registration with Event Brite coming soon.
About the Program
Animal Care volunteers work alongside a keeper assisting with daily animal care including cleaning of exhibits and night houses, preparing diets, raking, hosing, making enrichment items, and much more! Our volunteers in the Animal Care Department are an integral part of the daily care of our animals. Thanks to the time and dedication given by our volunteers, the animals' lives are more enriched.
- Age 18 or older
- Commit to regular attendance of four consecutive hours per week, either 8:00am – 12:00pm or 12:30pm – 4:30pm
- Commit to volunteering for at least six months
- Maintain a negative TB test (valid within one year) and current tetanus vaccination (valid within ten years)
- Attend a Volunteer Information Meeting. (See Application Deadlines below)
- Complete an Animal Care Emergency Preparedness course at least once every two years
- Pay the one-time Animal Care Volunteer Program fee of $20 which includes a uniform t-shirt and Animal Care Volunteer Handbook
- Abide by the procedures and expectations outlined in the Oakland Zoo Volunteer Manual including those set by the Animal Care, Conservation and Research Department (ACCR).
Download and complete the Animal Care Volunteer Application. Submit your entire application packet via email or mail to:
Oakland Zoo Volunteer Program
P.O. Box 5238
Oakland, CA 94605
After we receive your application, you will be contacted for a Volunteer Information Meeting where you will learn more about the Oakland Zoo and our volunteer programs. A brief interview with an ACCR representative will follow the meeting. These meetings are held in February and September of each year.
- Candidates selected will receive an acceptance email.
- Once an applicant is accepted into the program, a $20.00 program fee is required as well as proof of a negative tuberculosis test within the last year and a tetanus shot within the last ten years.
- These items must be received by ACCR before volunteering commences.
- Those accepted will attend an Animal Care Volunteer Orientation (held several weeks after the Volunteer Information Meeting), which are typically 30-60 minutes in length. The $20 non-refundable volunteer fee will be collected and uniforms issued.
Please email us or call (510) 632-9525 x141 if you have more questions about our Animal Care Volunteer Program.