About the Program
Volunteers are vitally important to the Zoo. Some people love to interact with the public and educate them about the animals and the Zoo's conservation programs. Some love to garden and donate their time to the ongoing landscaping efforts. Whatever you love to do, we can put your time and talents to good use!
Work with our Horticulture staff on the daily requirements of park maintenance and assist with landscape management and habitat restoration projects.
- Horticulture Volunteer positions are for candidates age 18 and over.
- Interested candidates should complete and submit a Horticulture Volunteer Application. Volunteers are accepted year round.
- After we receive your application, you will be sent "Next Steps" information. This will consist of a link to review a PowerPoint presentation, complete a couple of forms to be returned to us along with some medical information (proof of Tetanus vaccination in last 10 years, proof of Covid vaccination and first booster). When all of this is received, your application will then go to Horticulture for review, and you will be contacted for an interview. This process may take several weeks.
- A $20 non-refundable volunteer fee is collected and a t-shirt provided.
- All volunteers are required to enter their volunteer hours in our volunteer tracking system within a few days of your shift
You can download the Horticulture Volunteer Application here: Horticulture Volunteer Application.
Questions? Email any questions here.
Completed applications can be submitted via email, or mailed to:
Oakland Zoo Volunteer Program
PO Box 5238
Oakland, CA 94605